Saturday, September 7, 2013

Two early "healthy" blunders

Many of the active moms that I know were fit before becoming moms.  Unfortunately I was not one of those women before I had my kids.   I was neither active nor very fit at all!   I did weigh much less back then, however, I was the definition of skinny fat.   I barely weighed 115 pounds but had cellulite!  Of course then I got pregnant and morphed into a 204 lb version of my previous self. 


That being said I made very many blunders at my first attempt at healthy weight loss though I did lose a majority of the excess weight.  Finally, I hit 140 lbs and stayed there for a couple of years.  In July, I became focused on seeing the results I wanted to see and re-evaluated my diet and exercise.

Don't always assume that "healthy" is the same as good for weight loss!

I have never been a fan of eating breakfast.  However,  not eating breakfast trains your body to "store food" because it knows there will be a long stretch between dinner and lunchtime.  It also causes your metabolism to slow down.   

So I began making nutritious breakfast smoothies every morning.  I would fill my little blender to go with vanilla almond milk, frozen strawberries, a banana, two scoops of strawberry banana whey protein,   two tablespoons of milled flax seed and a half a cup of raw oats.  It's healthy, delicious, easy and ALMOST FIVE HUNDRED CALORIES!!!! 

And I had one every morning......for over a year. I still have a shake every day but these days I make my morning smoothie with whey protein and water and that is it!  

It went a ways towards explaining why I just couldn't seem to lose some of my body fat when I jogged almost two miles every morning six days a week. 

My exercise "regiment" of running every day was the other early mistake I made.  Cardio wasn't going to help me reach my size goals!   It wasn't until I began to integrate strength training that I began to see results!  

No comments:

Post a Comment